Tuesday 19 October 2010

10 Inspirations and assets that brought me to where i am!

1- Wetherspoons

Yeah I know your thinking, why have I put Wetherspoons'! Well, it's simple really, after working for them longer than I like to admit it is a driving force for me to make a success in the creative world. I'm not saying that pub management is a bad job, it's just I want more than that. Work is a huge part of everyones life and can affect your life outside it!
I heard somewhere "there's only one thing in your life that you have total control over, and that's what you like and what you don't like" and I feel it's true! So if you don't like something, don't do it. If you do, then do! So I wanted change, and am on that road now, still slightly unsure where I'm going but I'm heading in the right direction.
But Wetherspoons reminds me everyday what its like to work in job without passion, and trust me life isn't as good as it is now! A good lesson in life, in which I'll never forget.

You've got to work for most of your life so make sure your gonna enjoy what your doing!



2- Janie Ranger

My old dear! The reason she is in my list is that she is a driving force for my development, mainly cuz she keeps nagging and nagging, 'are you working hard, all i see is pictures of you of facebook pissed! Remember why your there, it's for education, not to get drunk with your mates, you could do that anywhere and with a job and income!' Jokes aside the truth is she went back to uni and got a fine art degree in her 50's, so she has shown that it's never to late to do it!
Now she is a practicing artist with a studio in Cheltenham, she has local exhibits, even exhibits at The Mall gallery - London and currently has 15 pieces of work up in the restaurant at The Royal Albert hall. I am very proud of her achievements.





3- Family and Friends

I had to put this group in as they are a really important part of my life, or any ones life in fact. Without them whats the point hey, life would suck! Loneliness scares me, i never want to end up that way! They are a source inspiration, experiences & motivation. They are always there to lend a hand or even just to shoot the proverbial shit with when needed, as everyone needs to now and then!

4- Banksy

I remember when i saw my first Banksy in Bristol, I found myself stood there for ages just looking at it. Since then I have always kept an eye out for his work in Bristol and London and followed his work through his books and the internet. What i like about his work is the playfulness of his images.





5- Internet

Anything I want to know, the phone comes straight out and the answers in the palm of my hand! The internet makes life so much easier, whether it's to research for a project, find out who's in the line up at a gig, whats on at the pics or just what's going on in the world. It's such a great source of information, the world is a different place with it in place!



6-Pop Art

Pop art is one of my favorite styles of art. I have always enjoyed works by the well know Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. I have been interested in printing ever since doing foundation and Andys' work using this type of media has always intrigued me, I have spent hours in Warhol exhibitions!




7- Travel
going to other side of the world really opened my eyes. I realized that change was easy and if done for the right reason it's always worth the gamble. Traveling is a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone! The places you see are breathtaking and and the people you meet are on another level than those in your day to day life. You learn so much culture from locals and the people you meet along the way. The worlds a big place, so get out there and see it!



8- Printing

I specialized in illustration at art foundation and found myself at home in the print room straight away. The printing techniques were fascinating yet frustrating at times, but the effect you can get, can prove to be well worth the hassle! It was another opportunity to learn a new skill and i jumped at the chance to do gum arabic, linocut and silk screen printing, the latter being my favorite type to use.


9- i Tunes

Music is a key factor that helps whilst I'm working, with out it I find it hard to concentrate on whats in front of me. Otherwise there are too many distractions, music helps me just get on with it. In a busy room, with lots going on, people busying themselves around me nothing better than sticking in me headphones and just getting on with it!






10- Art Foundation
Before I did the art foundation course I was mainly doing 3d design and ceramics (feels like a long time ago now though), I knew before the foundation i was really unsure which art media i was interested in to pursue. The option of trying new things out was great, not only that it was a taste of the different, but the opportunity to learn a new skill how ever brief the workshop was and still is invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment